Covenant, a new development studio founded by former producer of The Witcher 3, has officially announced its first project – Gord. The single-player, dark fantasy game is said to combine tropes from city builder, strategy, survival, and adventure games into one cohesive whole, all under the backdrop of a grim Slavic folklore-inspired world.
One of the main attractions of Gord is its procedurally generated worlds. Before jumping into a game, you’ll get to select various primary objectives, level size, raid intensity, and even the environment and enemies you want to go up against. You’ll then need to manage your resources like any good strategy sim, while also keeping your small group of settlers psychologically balanced.
Strategy elements and procedurally generated maps are only one part of Gord. Here’s a bit of the other content you can expect to see in its bleak world:
- Adventure strategy in a dark fantasy setting: Lead the people of the Tribe of the Dawn as they venture deep into forbidden lands and ensure the survival of your populace in a grim fantasy world inspired by Slavic folklore.
- A unique city-builder with survival elements: Grow your gord from a humble settlement to a formidable fortress while your population is constantly at risk from enemy tribes, gruesome monsters, and mysterious powers that lurk in the surrounding woods.
- AI-driven quest system: Side quests and random encounters will send you off into the wilderness to hunt down legendary creatures, uncover secrets about the Ancients, or vanquish a nasty scourge.
- Impactful Sanity and Burden systems: Every aspect of your settlers’ lives – from illness and hunger to the death of their kin – can impact your villagers’ psychological state.
- Unleash powerful Incantations: Spells vary in nature – some are offensive while others are defensive – but they all help to tip the battlefield in your favor.
- Uncover the world’s mysteries in The Chronicle: Pages torn from The Chronicle will be scattered throughout the game’s landscapes, giving dedicated players an additional challenge of discovering lore that explains the Gord universe.
Covenant was founded last year by Stan Just, a former CD Projekt Red producer. Just previously worked on The Witcher 3 and many of its DLC packs, before parting ways with the company and forming his own studio. Gord will be Covenant’s first title, although it’s currently working on a second, unannounced project.
Gord will launch at an unannounced time in 2022 and will be available on PC.
NEXT: Superman Comic Featuring Hero’s First Appearance Sells For $3.25 Million
- Game News
- cd projekt red
Jon Bitner is an Associate Editor for TheGamer. His passion for gaming started with his first console (Sega Genesis) and he hasn’t stopped playing since. His favorite titles include The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Team Fortress 2, Rainbow Six Siege, Pokémon Sword & Shield, Old School Runescape, Skyrim, and Breath of the Wild. He can usually be found playing the latest RPG, FPS, or some obscure mobile game. Before working as Associate News Editor, Jon earned a Biology degree and worked in the Biotechnology sector — experiences that taught him how to put words together and make sentences. When not playing or writing about the gaming industry, he enjoys sleeping, eating, and staring at birds.
Source: Read Full Article