Niantic Labs launched augmented reality (AR) title Harry Potter: Wizards Unite over the summer, allow fans of the franchise to run around their home towns and cities, collecting magical items and performing spells. With it being October and the Halloween season, the developer has announced the start of Dark Arts Month, with lots of new in-game events and activities for players to enjoy.
Dark Arts Month starts tomorrow (8th October), with players having to protect the wizarding world from all sorts of sinister forces. These challenges and events will be split down over the month as follows:
- Fighting Forces Brilliant Event Part 1: October 8-14
- A new quest featuring the spine-chilling Brilliant Death Eater and an Azkaban Escapee
- October Community Day: October 19
- Expect more uncanny creatures including Vampire, Werewolf and Doxy oddities appearing more frequently™ in the game
- Fighting Forces Brilliant Event Part 2: October 22-28
- A new sinister quest featuring the Brilliant Sirius Black and a Dementor
- Exclusive Halloween Quest: October 31
- Get ready for an exciting and exclusive Dark Arts-themed Wizarding Challenge Fortress Chamber and quest with limited-time rewards
Co-published and co-developed by WB Games San Francisco and Niantic, Inc., under the Portkey Games label, Harry Potter: Wizards Unite began with a staggered rollout, arriving first in Australia and New Zealand in May before making its way to North America and the UK. Players explore their neighbourhoods looking for ‘Foundables’ help restore the balance between the two worlds. These can be artefacts, creatures, people, and even memories, which have made it through from the wizarding world into the Muggle realm.
Just like in other geo-location AR videogames on mobile, players will find that particular real-world locations will act as areas of interest, taking the roles as Inns to replenish Spell Energy or for brewing special potions and Fortresses which allow for real-time multiplayer battles against dangerous enemies.
Last month version 2.4.0 was released, updating and improving several features. Harry Potter: Wizards Unite is available as a free download for iOS and Android devices which are AR compatible. VRFocus will continue its coverage of Niantic Labs and its latest AR titles, reporting back with further updates.
Source: Read Full Article