Scented candles have become a popular home accessory for good reason. Not only do they provide warm, inviting illumination, but they also have the ability to instantly freshen the air and transform the ambiance of any space. With so many enticing aromas to choose from, scented candles are an easy way to make any room in your home smell fresh and clean.
Why Scented Candles Freshen Air
There are a few reasons why burning a scented candle can freshen the air in a room:
- Fragrance Oils – Most scented candles are infused with fragrance oils, which are released into the air as the candle burns. These pleasant aromas overpower unpleasant lingering odors from cooking, pets, smoke, and everyday living. Just a few minutes of burning a scented candle can make a room smell refreshed.
- Essential Oils – Some scented candles also contain essential oils like eucalyptus, lavender, and citrus. When heated, the volatile organic compounds in these oils are dispersed into the air. Certain compounds have cleansing and antibacterial properties that can actually purify the air as well.
- Air Circulation – As a candle burns, it warms and displaces the air around it, causing it to rise. This creates a gentle circulating air current that helps freshen the atmosphere. Opening a window briefly can increase air circulation further.
- Psychology – Our brains associate certain smells with freshness, cleanliness, and pleasantness. Scented candles tap into these connections, making us perceive the air as fresher than it actually may be. The aroma puts our mind at ease.
Top Scents for Fresh Air
If your goal is specifically to freshen the air in a room, go for scented candle options with bright, clean fragrances. Here are some of the best:
- Citrus scents like lemon, orange, grapefruit, and bergamot have an uplifting, energizing aroma that smell fresh and clean. They add a zesty punch to any space.
- Cool and crisp scents like eucalyptus, pine, and mint invigorate the senses and remind us of fresh outdoor air. They cut through stuffiness.
- Fruity scents such as apple, peach, and berries smell sweet and inviting. Their bright aromas mask stagnant odors.
- Fresh laundry scents give off the just-washed smell of clean linens. Common notes include cotton, linen, vanilla, and light florals.
- Ocean breezy scents with notes of coconut, palm, and sea salt can instantly transport you to the seaside with fresh, beachy air.
- Herbal and green scents like sage, basil, cedarwood, and thyme have an earthy aroma that conjures up images of fresh open air.
Candle Features for Freshening A Room
When shopping for a scented candle to freshen a room, look for these features:
- Natural essential oils: Candles scented with plant-based essential oils have genuine fragrance. Synthetic fragrances don’t smell as fresh.
- Light to medium scent throw: Heavier scents can be overwhelming in small spaces. Lighter fragrances feel more airy.
- Soy, vegetable, or apricot wax: These burn cleaner than paraffin wax, leaving the air fresher.
- Cotton wicks: They produce less soot than other materials, improving air quality.
- USA-made: American-made candles contain less chemicals and burn cleaner.
- Large glass jar or Tumbler style: Allows more fragrance to permeate a room compared to small tins.
Burning Tips for Fresh Air
To maximize freshness from your scented candle, follow these simple tips:
- Trim wicks to 1/4 inch before lighting to minimize smoke.
- Allow melted wax to pool across the entire surface before extinguishing.
- Burn for 1-2 hours at a time and allow the candle to cool completely before relighting.
- Occasionally crack a window or open a door to allow fresh air circulation while burning.
- Position candle upwind so fragrance is dispersed around the room.
- Display candle on a tray or plate to collect drips and spilled wax.
- Clean the candleholder regularly to remove residue buildup.
With the right scented candle and proper burning technique, you can freshen the air in any room of your home. Enjoy the uplifting scents and air purification benefits.
Source: Read Full Article